AUTISM FRIENDLY PERFORMANCES
1 in 68 children are diagnosed with autism, reported by the Center for Disease Control, yet in many ways autism is still a puzzle for doctors. Families with autism constantly seek ways to help their children rise to their fullest potential, and explore the world as much as possible.
Arch for Autism is a program for children on all areas of the spectrum to come together and enjoy the benefits of dance and music. Our goal is to make ballet and music accessible to all by including Autism Friendly performances during our performance season for all ages.
These performances are one hour, have a supportive environment for an audience of families and friends with children or adults who are diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder or other sensitivity issues. Adjustments to the production include reduction of obscure lighting, shorter running time, and reduction of any sudden sounds. Plus, there will be areas in the lobby for quiet time or activities, staffed with autism specialists for those who need to leave their seats during the performance.
You can help us make this great program come to life by becoming an integral part of our mission by simply donating or becoming a sponsor today.
If you are interested in volunteering, becoming a board member or are a family interested in the program, email email@example.com.
Download the Social Narrative and Video of the Space with the link to each performance below.
NYC – Saturday, November 18th | 2:00 pm – Location TBA
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
AUTISM FRIENDLY PERFORMANCES
Arch Contemporary Ballet aims to make ballet and music performances that are accessible to children and adults on the autism spectrum during our regular performance season.
WHAT MAKES A PERFORMANCE AUTISM FRIENDLY
Adjustments to the production include:
- Reduction of obscure lighting
- Shorter running time
- Reduction of sound levels
- Areas in the lobby for quiet time or activities, staffed with autism specialists for those who need to leave their seats during the performance
- Fidgets available for all attendees
- Social narratives are available before the performance – a document about what to expect at the theatre including entrance, exit videos, a detailed ballet description and photos for families to plan ahead with their child or family
- Video of the venue and what to expect: as preparation is key for all families
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
Expenses of the program include:
- Theatre venue cost
- Purchasing ‘fidgets’ for all of our attendees, tactile items that relieve stress
- Autism specialists to help run through the production aspects from the theatre set up to the show running time, to ensure safety for attendees during the show
- Cost of dancers, musicians, and production staff
- The cost of the play area toys and set up in the lobby
- Box office staff costs
- Production costs such as rehearsal space, costumes, and staging
Help us bring these ballet and music performances to life for all children and adults with an autism
spectrum disorder or other sensitivity issues.
We are looking for volunteers, board members, teachers, and anyone who would like to be apart of bringing this program to life.
You can help us make this great program come to life by becoming an integral part of our mission or by simply donating today.
If you are interested in volunteering, becoming a board member, or a family interested in the program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.